Many vegetarian risottos rely on cheese for the protein. In this quirky variant I use ½ rice and ½ red lentils to give some protein while still getting that risotto texture.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 150g risotto rice
- 150g red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 150g runner beans cut into short lengths
- 200g cooked broad beans
- 50g vegan Parmesan or Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh herbs or 1 tsp dry herbs.
Heat oil in large pan, add onion and lower heat keep stirring until onion is tender and transparent. Add rice and lentils (pre washed) to the pan and stir for a few minutes to slightly brown. Add vegetable stock and once up to boil reduce heat to simmer. 5 minutes before the end add the two different beans and stir through. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan cheese), pepper and herbs for flavour before serving.