- 1 C brown rice
- 1 C french/puy/brown lentils – well rinsed
Cook together in a pot using an absorption method
(i.e.3 C water, bring to boil, cover with tight fitting lid, reduce to a low
heat and cook for 40 minutes. Switch off and let stand for 10 minutes)
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 325g tomato tinned tomato OR 500g fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil and then saute the onion and garlic until soft then add all other ingredients and cook until vegetables are tender.
Layer into a casserole dish (rice and lentils,
vegetables, rice and lentils, ending with a vegetable layer).
- Vegan Parmesan cheese substitute
Sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, if you wish add a couple of tablespoons of this homemade vegan Parmesan cheese substitute to your crumbs for extra flavor. Bake at 180 degrees until bubbling at the edges
This salad is suitable either as a main or a side. This contains seasonal vegetables as of the date of publication. Corn could be replaced with courgette or lightly cooked pumpkin.
- ½ C quinoa cooked as per directions to give you 1 C cooked quinoa
- 2 TBSP of canola oil
- 1 C of corn kernels (with fresh corn, the amount off 2 corn cobs)
- 1 C chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 red or yellow capsicum chopped into small pieces
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- ½ C fresh parsley or coriander
- ¼ C olive oil
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP rice or white vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
Prepare the quinoa and drain in a sieve. Allow to cool.
Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add corn and
well drained chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes stirring regularly until
they start to brown.
Transfer into a bowl. Add quinoa, pepper, onion and parsley
Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix. Drizzle
over salad just before serving.
If you don’t have quinoa, you can use brown rice, but always follow food safe practices when cooling and storing grain foods.